Find the Best African Safari Tours
African safari tours can be extravagant, but they can also be affordable, depending on what amenities and features you opt for. Arrange an African safari tour for as little as a day or as long as a few months, for a daily price as low as $200 per person.
African safari tours can be customized to suit your physical abilities and your budget. Options include:
- Luxury safaris
- Camping overland safaris
- Lodge safaris
- Self-drive safaris
African safari tour features to consider
African safari tours take place throughout the continent, so tourists have an excellent variety of scenery, wildlife and local culture to choose from.
- Saharan: These tours take place in or near the Sahara desert, located in the northern half of the continent. This area is home to many desert dwelling creatures, including hyenas, fennec foxes and dromedary camels. The towns and cities in this area are built up around water sources and feature ancient buildings set near historic ruins.
- Sub-Saharan: The area below the Sahara desert is referred to as the sub-Saharan, and it offers a different ecosystem in the southern half of the continent. Lions, elephants, leopards and giraffes are common wildlife in this region. Accommodations range from tents in small towns to five star hotels in bustling large cities.
- Coastal: Beautiful beaches line Africa’s coasts and offer ample opportunity for beach-front vacations and African wildlife tours. The coastal wildlife includes many migratory bird species, whale sharks, sea turtles and rhinos. Coastal cultures range from isolated fishing villages to sprawling South African cities.
African safari tours offer many price points for travelers to consider before choosing an option.
- Under $1,000: These tours provide the best pricing by keeping the amenities and tours simple, with tent based accommodations and scheduled group safari routes.
- $1,000 – $5,000: Mid-range African safaris may offer higher quality accommodations in hotels and lodges, private vehicles, driving routes away from common tourist areas and access to longer safari vacations.
- $5,000+: Luxury tours go all out to provide tourists with top-class amenities, truly unique African safari experiences and many bells and whistles. The price of luxury safaris depends on the package and whether the adventurer is creating a custom experience.
Travelers have a variety of distinct local cultures they can experience in Africa.
- South Africa: This country has many of the modern amenities’ travelers are used to and many English speakers.
- Kenya: This area is a popular safari destination and offers an excellent opportunity to engage with the 40 African tribes living here.
- Zimbabwe: The Shona tribe is the most populous in Zimbabwe and has a vibrant culture, with emphasis on traditional dance.
Familiarity with area
Highly experienced tour guides who live or grew up in the region provide significant depth of knowledge on the safari.
- Expats: Travelers have the advantage of exploring Africa with native English speakers who have lived in the area for years. Tourists can get an outsider’s perspective on the local culture and area while still getting to see sights the locals love.
- Locals: A safari tour led by locals provides travelers with experienced guides who show off sights that only the locals know about. These tours help support the native population, leverage the deep knowledge of people who have lived in the area all their lives and provide immersion into the local culture.
Travelers can choose many accommodation options, from a tent to high-class hotels.
- Camping: Safari camps let travelers enjoy low-cost accommodation under the stars.
- Lodge: These midrange to luxury hotels provide modern amenities and comfort for tourists, such as bath tubs, concierge service, room service and fine dining restaurants.
- Villa: These large houses provide excellent accommodation for larger safari groups.
African safari tours are available in a variety of package types.
- All-inclusive: These packages provide everything a traveler needs, from the safari tour to accommodations. The tourist doesn’t need to pay additional fees for lodging, food or safari tours, as these services are included in the price. Some packages also include the traveler’s flight costs.
- Photography: Many photographers take stunning photos of African wildlife on tours specifically designed for photography.
- Self-driving: Instead of going on a set safari route with other travelers, a self-driving safari gives the tourist their own vehicle to drive around. These self-driving packages are often paired with camp accommodations to bring down the cost.
- Custom: Travelers get to pick and choose every detail of the safari in a custom package, which tend to be the most expensive safari options.
What are different types of African safari tours?
- Luxury safaris: Travelers get access to the best food, resorts and safari locations in Africa. These safaris provide every amenity available, high-tech vehicles for the tour and other perks.
- Overland safaris: These safaris use trucks, campers and other vehicles to take travelers on cross-country adventures. Tourists typically sleep in camps with these tours.
- Lodge safaris: Lodges provide a comfortable environment for sleeping away from the wilds. Some lodges have resort amenities, although many are similar to midrange hotels.
- Self-drive safaris: Tourists who want a more DIY vacation can get outfitted vehicles to use for a safari. These tours are typically self-directed by the traveler.
Who would enjoy an African safari tour?
- Nature lovers: Instead of seeing animals at the zoo, nature lovers get to see them in their natural habitat. African safaris offer up-close and personal access to wildlife.
- Photographers: Africa is full of scenic, untouched wilderness, creating perfect photo opportunities. Photographers can go on safaris specifically designed to maximize the available photo ops.
- Outdoors lovers: Untouched jungles, deserts and beaches are available throughout Africa. Outdoors lovers get access to many recreational options on their safaris.
About the Author
ConsumerAffairs is a consumer news and reviews site founded in 1989. ConsumerAffairs is the service to use for life’s important purchases. They provide expert resources and verified reviews to help you make smarter buying decisions.View All Articles