Live in Companions for Seniors
Live in Companions for Seniors
Live In Caregivers at Home
Many aging seniors are not willing to leave home for an assisted living placement. Often, a health crisis must occur before they agree to placement. We cannot blame them; home is their security and freedom. Home is a familiar place where they feel comfort and joy. Naturally, when we give them choices, whether to live in an assisted home community or stay at their home by themselves, they choose the latter. Live-in Companionship
However, when children have their own lives to live, leaving aging seniors by themselves creates worry and stress. Hiring a live-in companion is an ideal solution.
The Responsibilities of a Live-In
The responsibilities of a live-in companion may vary depending on the elders need. Generally, a live-in companion provides assistance on ADL’s (activity of daily living), meal preparation, home maintenance, laundry and running errands. Live in Companions for Seniors
The Advantages of Senior Care at Home with a Live-In
Hiring a live-in companion has several advantages over assisted living placement.
- Seniors will enjoy the benefit of staying home. This setting will personally benefit the seniors. They are able to stay in their own house, and enjoy living near family and friends. Also, they are able to eat meals according to their liking. With a live-in companion, you are able to receive one- on- one assistance and care as oppose to care being provided for group settings where you have limited choices.
- Family members can participate in care giving. Aging parents need their family’s love and support. With your family member around or near you, you are able to participate in care giving. Giving them a few hours of your time is a perfect way of expressing your love and appreciation to them.
- Live-in caregivers are cost effective. Many think live-in caregivers are an expensive option since board and lodging will be provided. Yet, a live-in companion is reported to be cheaper than the cost of assisted living placement or long term care facility. Also, this setting is flexible. If assistance is not necessarily in 24/7 basis, you can have your own schedule to benefit both the caregiver and the recipient.
- Live-in caregivers develop trust. The continuity of a live-in foster’s trust. When you are away from home, you will not worry about your parents because you know they are in good hands.
Home care minimizes exposure to contagious illnesses. In senior’s facility, there are groups of people who share common places like dining. There your loved one may be exposed to possible contagious diseases. If they are living at home their exposure can be minimized.
- A live-in companion for your aging parent has a great advantage in comparison to the assisted living placement. However, it is not an ideal option for elders who have chronic or complicated health issues.
Author: Yvonne Stutzke, R.N.
About the Author
Jeff has been the CEO of Senior.com for 12 years. Senior.com has grown under Jeff’s leadership, in fact when the website was first launched, the member base grew form Zero to over 700,000 in less the 3 years. Current, has over 1,600,000 registered members.
Jeff received his MBA degree in Managerial Finance and Investor Relations from the University of Phoenix and his Bachelor of Arts degree in Corporate Finance and Accounting from California State University, Fullerton.View All Articles