We completely understand! It can be totally overwhelming, to say the least. The transition onto Medicare can be completely painless and simple if you know the proper steps to take.
There are many informative videos available on YouTube that are designed to help educate those new to Medicare. You can find a lot of the information you need without a salesman or marketer looking over your shoulder. No one is there pressuring you to make a decision. And it can all be done right on the device you are reading this article on right now, from the comfort of your home.
Your Medicare Options
Medicare Part A and Part B are the only parts of Medicare that you enroll in through Social Security, and you can do that at your local Social Security office, through the SSA.gov website, or over the phone at 1-800-772-1213. The other Medicare Parts (Part C & Part D) and any supplemental coverages are done through an insurance company or an independent agent.
If you are receiving Social Security benefits at least four months before being eligible for Medicare and reside in the United States, you will automatically be enrolled in Part A and Part B. You can look for your Medicare card in the mail 3-4 months before your 65th birthday.
Here are the steps you will need to take to get your Medicare coverage in place:
- Confirm you are eligible for Medicare
- Learn about Medicare costs so that you can prepare for what you will pay
- Contact Social Security for the necessary forms to apply for Medicare – www.ssa.gov
- Receive your red, white, and blue Medicare card and verify that the information is correct, including that you are enrolled in Part A AND Part B
- Learn about your coverage options: Medicare supplement vs Medicare Advantage
- Learn about Part D – the Medicare Drug Plan – and determine which Part D drug plan is best for you
- Learn the importance of having an independent agent who works for you and not for the insurance company (the prices are identical whether you enroll directly with the company or use a trustworthy, independent agent)
- Review your coverage with your agent annually to ensure you are getting the best available coverage at the best price from year to year
Keith Murray is an independent agent and the founder of Integrity Senior Solutions Inc. Keith has over 21 years of experience working with Seniors on their Medicare insurance needs. He can be reached at 1-888-228-6119 or through the website at https://medigap.us.