7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief
Stress is the body’s reaction to any change that requires an adjustment or a response. Stress is a normal part of life. At some point, almost everyone gets stressed. 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief
So what are the reasons seniors get stressed. As they retire, seniors leave the working world and are immersed in the world of retirement. Along with being older, retirement brings about a different set of circumstances. Some of these may cause seniors stress. Circumstances such as:
- Having lived in the regimented working world for over 40 years, retirement creates problems for some. From having something to do all day long for over 60 years to suddenly change and have all the time in the world. For some who aren’t prepared, this change can create stress.
- Some seniors may not be financially ready for retirement. Social security only provides so much income. And this causes some seniors to worry about how they will get by for the rest of their lives.
- Loss of companions in the same generation results in isolation and is a big stressor.
- Medical conditions. Also, some seniors may have or develop serious medical conditions as they age. Depending on the severity, some of these conditions may cause seniors stress.
- Physical limitations. Age creeps up on seniors and along with age some will develop physical issues limiting them in some way and form. Being independent for most of their lives, these limitation become challenges and source of stress.
Symptoms of Stress
How do you recognize, you are in, stress? Well, some of the more common symptoms of stress include:
- Worry or anxiety
- Panic attack
- Difficulty sleeping
- Outburst of anger
- Inability to concentrate
- Alcohol abuse
Activities to Relieve Stress
And, here are some activities that will help relieve the stress. Most noteworthy, the first five activities are relatively easy to do. For those not familiar with the last two, they can be learned by watching you tube videos or going to classes.
- Go for a walk. Walking is a universally accepted way to reduce stress. Furthermore, considerable research has shown that walking as fast as you can or even jogging reduces stress. Moreover, walking can be done anywhere, so it’s an easy thing to do.
- Listening to music. Research has shown that listening to music helps reduce stress. Moreover, as compared to other music genres, classical music is best for relieving stress.
- According, to Harvard Medical School’s Department of Neurobiology, dancing helps reduce stress. And dancing to your favorite music is a fun thing to do for getting rid of stress. Moreover, if your partner is not immediately available, you can dance on your own.
- Take a short nap. Researchers from Sorbonne University in Paris found that a brief 30 minute nap was effective in relieving stress. So, go ahead and take that short nap when you are stressed.
- Be with someone close. Much research and studies have shown that being in the company of someone close to you or you enjoy, gives you relief from stress.
- Meditation has also been found to ease stresses like anxiety, depression and pain. And there are countless studies backing that up. If you are not familiar with mediation take a short course. Or learn it, on your own, from you tube videos.
- Do yoga movements. Again many studies have shown yoga reduces stress and anxiety. In fact, research has shown that yoga is better than walking to relieve stress. If you are not familiar with yoga, take classes or learn some basic elements from you tube videos.
Finally, once the stress is gone and you are feeling better, figure out ways to resolve the issue(s) causing you stress.
Lisa Anderson, Master’s in Nursing, working on a PhD. Been a visiting nurse for many years. Interested in connection between staying fit and health. Creator of the website.
7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief 7 Best Ways for Seniors to get Stress Relief
About the Author
As Senior.com Director of Sales and Marketing, Kimberly Johnson is passionate about providing Seniors with the resources and products to live well. Kimberly is a seasoned caregiver to her family and breast cancer survivor. Her father battled ALS, Lou Gehrig’s disease and she was a primary caregiver. Today Kimberly lives in Southern California near her 104-year-old grandmother, widowed mother, a mentally disabled sister and second sister who is also a breast cancer survivor. She is happily married to her husband of 24 years and they have 3 children.View All Articles